Sunday, July 8, 2007

my first night in UWP


First night in Denver (okay, Superior). Wow am I lucky! I just finished a day with some of the most interesting, amazing people EVER! Be jealous. Seriously. I got to the rec center in Denver around 1:30 mountain time and registered and got all of my host family information. I then proceded to mingle and chat with most of my fellow castmates. Most of whom I won't remember the names of by Monday, but you know how it goes. Thank goodness for nametags!! By the way, I got my own official Up with People nametag this afternoon! :)

The people I met come from Montana, to Hawaii, to Sweden, Uganda and Japan! Of course there are many many many more sprinkled in between. I played pool with Rafael from Brazil, and Guido from Italy. I listened to Johan from Sweden and Manuel from Mexico play guitar! Flippin' SWEET! Tell you what! And a whole gaggle of us have already decided that we're going to get tattoos before we're done w/ UWP, or piercings. Sorry Mom and Dad! :)

My host family is absolutely amazing! Their names are Stephanie and Dave Collins from Superior, a suburb of Denver, which is actually closer to Boulder. They have two children. Spencer, who is going into high school next year, and Delaney. I didn't ask how old she was. I'll have to ask tomorrow. Also rooming with the Collins' are Megan from Minnesota (complete w/ the accent), Jeremy from Montana, and Johan from Sweden! I love. We spent an amazing night swapping stories and customs over a delicious dinner! Stephanie made tossed salad, cranberry chicken (YUM), San Francisco Sourdough, and this pasta-like stuff that none of us could really give a name for. We discussed after-dinner rituals and Stephanie (who is also a cast alumni) and Johan told us all about Finnish saunas and german spas, quite a unique experience from the sounds of it.

After dinner we all went outside and snapped some pics. We jumped on the trampoline with the kids and Johan and the 'rents enjoyed some white wine. We all sat around their back porch and talked about what the UWP experience would be like and what we were expecting to get out of it. We talked about our performance experience and "special talents," such as singing, playing guitar, or dancing. We compared school systems and discussed our favorite musicals. Following our chat we all went back inside for dessert. Stephanie made peppermint brownies with ice cream. I am spoiled I tell you! She also brought out these scrumptious chocolates from San Francisco, where she is originally from.

We then went downstairs and watched an old Up with People show from 1987! It was SO funny! Entertaining anyway. So tomorrow is a free day, as are all Sundays. If I wake up by 10 a.m. I'll go to church w/ my host family, but who knows. We will be driving into Boulder sometime that afternoon to do some sightseeing. I am super excited. I miss you all dearly, but I'm having a wonderful time! :) Love and hugs!
xoxo --callie

No comments: